- NYU Langone Health
- $33,490.00 -48,720.00/year*
201 E 33rd St
NYU Langone Health is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including five inpatient locations, a children's hospital, three emergency rooms and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the Laura and Isaac Perlmutter Cancer Center, a National Cancer Institute designated cancer center, and NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. For more information, go to nyulangone.org, and interact with us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Histology Tech I.
In this role, the successful candidate prepares tissue specimens for pathological examination.
- Specimen Embedding and Microtomy: Orients and embeds various types of surgical specimens properly and according to grossing instructions. Able to meltdown and re-embed the tissue when necessary to optimize tissue material (consults/controls). Cuts paraffin blocks correctly to produce slides of high quality, following standard protocols. Cuts thin (2-3 micron) sections skillfully and consistently according to standard histological technique. Orients the block face to the knife exactly to cut no trim serial sections. Able to produce multiple slides without exhausting tissue. Verifies the accuracy of the accession number on the slide against the cassette.
- Staining and preparation of solutions: H/E and special staining (both automated and manual) and preparation of solutions. Review of controls for acceptable staining.
- Slide coverslipping, labeling and distribution: Correctly operates the Coverslipper. Ensures the Coverslipper is dispensing the proper amount of xylene, tape is loaded, tape size selected properly and correctly placing the coverslip over the tissue section and not over ventana labels. Able to trouble shoot any problems related to the Coverslipper. Able to coverslip manually without air bubbles in a timely fashion. Accurately labels all slides; checking against the block and histology orders. Ensures that all slides have a legible label. Distributes slides to the appropriate individual in a timely fashion according to priority lists; notifies supervisor of delays.
- Filing of blocks and slides.
- Utilizing, maintaining, and troubleshooting all equipment; tissue processors (VIP & Peloris), H&E Stainer, Coverslipper, Special Stainers (Ventana Nexus and Benchmark), microtomes, embedding centers and all other histology equipment. Troubleshoots error messages appropriately. Performs daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance on machines/equipment. Follows preventive maintenance schedules; notifies supervisor of out of range issues.
- Proper use of LIS; Powerpath and Omni-Trax: Demonstrates ability to use the LIS(PowerPath) correctly. Demonstrates ability to use Omnitrax (HRM and GRM) correctly. Demonstrates ability to use Matrax to sign out slides and distribute to resident or attending pathologist correctly. Capable of logging in, reviewing, and printing daily laboratory work lists and labels. Able to use PP and Omnitrax to troubleshoot problems between grossing and histology labs. Adept to trouble shoot any problems related to the Slidemate and Zebra Label Printer.
- QC/QA Participation: Adheres to laboratory QA/QC policy with regards to lot and control testing. Assesses controls before distribution. For special stains acquires Lead Tech, Supervisor or MD approval of controls daily. Keeps workstation clean/changes solutions as required by lab protocols. Reports any known problems regarding quality to the supervisor.
- Participation in supply inventory management and ordering if applicable: Participates in inventory management by identifying and notifying supervisor when items are low in stock. Puts supplies away where they belong in a timely fashion. Ensures that solutions in use are not expired. Ensures that solutions are marked when received and opened and secondary containers are labeled correctly
- QC routine and special stains before distribution to pathologist following established protocols. Techniques involve block/slide checks, microscopic assessment of section and staining quality, correlation of materials using Powerpath and Omnitracks records.
- Assess origin of unsatisfactory preparations and implement corrective actions as necessary.
- Communicates with PA, Histotechnicians, Lead Techs, lab manager/supervisor, residents and pathologists as necessary to resolve discrepancies.
- Notifies appropriate pathologist and supervisor of pending issues. Documents actions as required.
- Assist with training or in service of staff as requested by the supervisor.
- NYSDOH Licensed as a Certified Clinical Laboratory histotechnician, histotechnologist, technician, or technologist
- An Associates Degree from a relevant course of study as defined by NYS clinical laboratory licensing requirements. A high school degree will only be accepted if the individual has the designated experience defined by NYS and has obtained their NYS license through the grandparenting pathway defined by NYS.
- Experience required is 6 months - 1 year in a surgical pathology laboratory.
- Exposure to Computer systems.
- Good communication skills.
Required Licenses: Certified Histo Technician-NYS, Clinical Lab Technician-NYS, Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal \"EEO is the law\" poster or visit for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here.
Associated topics: antibody, biopharma, health, healthcare, histotechnologist, immuno oncology, immunohematology, pharmaceutical, therapeutic, therapy
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...